A DWI conviction can wreak havoc on your life for years to come, which is why you should speak to a Sugar Land DWI attorney as soon as possible after you have been charged. However, if you are not prepared for your meeting, it can be a total waste of time for both you and the attorney, because the attorney may choose not to represent you.
How to Prepare for the Meeting With Your Sugar Land DWI Attorney
If you have been charged with DWI, it is in your best interest to be as prepared as possible when you first meet with your Sugar Land DWI attorney. First, write up a list or timeline describing the events that led up to the arrest. Also, note all of the events that occurred following the arrest.
For example, you should keep track of:
- What you were doing right before the officer pulled you over.
- What the officer said to you when he or she pulled you over.
- The location of the stop.
- The weather conditions (nighttime, raining, foggy, etc.)
- What you said to the officer.
- The field sobriety tests you took and whether the officer indicated that they were required or not.
- Whether or not the police officer demonstrated the field sobriety tests before you took them.
- What the officer said during the tests.
- Where you took the tests (roadside, in a parking lot, etc.).
By bringing this information to your meeting, you demonstrate that you are serious about being helpful to your defense. Plus, by writing down the sequence of events, you are more likely to remember what happened and pass on important information to your Sugar Land DWI lawyer.
Call a Sugar Land DWI Attorney Today
Choosing the right Sugar Land DWI lawyer who understands what you're going through is extremely important. If you need help with a drunk driving charge, call John Venza today at 281-971-5660 to schedule an initial consultation.