Indecency with a Child Law in Texas

If you have been charged with the crime of indecency with a child, you will want to contact a Sugar Land criminal attorney. This crime carries serious penalties that can affect you for life.

Elements of Indecency with a Child

Generally, someone commits indecency with a child if the child is under 17 years old and the suspect commits one of the following acts:

  • Engages in sexual contact with the child.
  • Causes the child to engage in sexual contact.
  • Exposes his anus or genitals to a child with the intent to arouse sexual desire.
  • Causes the child to expose the child's anus or genitals with the intent to arouse sexual desire.

Indecency with a child can include acts like touching a child's breasts or genitals through clothing, rubbing your genitals on a child even if clothed, flashing oneself to the child, and other acts. If there is penetration or physical force involved, the suspect can be charged with a more serious crime like rape or sexual assault.

Defenses to the Charge

There are several possible defenses to being charged with indecency with a child. Generally, if the suspect and victim have less than a three-year age gap, the suspect may have an affirmative defense if no force or threat of force was used in the act.

In addition, the crime generally requires an intentional act. So if someone accidentally touched the genitals of a child or if there was no intent to arouse sexual desire in anyone, the suspect may avoid criminal conviction. You should talk to a Sugar Land criminal attorney to learn of any possible defenses in your case.

Criminal Penalties

Someone charged with indecency with a child faces a possible second degree felony charge. This can carry a 20-year prison sentence. Someone convicted of the crime may also be required to register as a child sex offender.

Contact a Sugar Land Criminal Attorney

If you have been charged with indecency with a child, it is important that you work with an experienced attorney. The penalties for the crime can be very severe. Contact Sugar Land criminal attorney John Venza at 281-971-5660 for help defending your case.

Related Posts
  • Should You Talk to the Police Without a Lawyer Present? Read More
  • Probation Violation and Rehab Read More
  • Truth Be Told: A Deeper Look into False Claims Read More